Sweet potatoes are versatile and also healthy. We explain how you can cook sweet potatoes, present delicious recipes, and reveal other ways to prepare the tuber. In this article, we read about How to bake sweet potatoes?
Table of Contents
Cooking sweet potatoes: step by step
- Cooking sweet potatoes works similarly to cooking potatoes. First, the tubers should be washed. You can eat them with or without the shell, so it’s up to you whether you want to peel them first. However, the potato contains more vitamins if the skin is left on.
- Now you put the sweet potatoes in a saucepan and cover them almost entirely with water.
- Add about a teaspoon of salt and bring the water to a boil.
- To keep the potatoes from losing their color, you can add a lemon wedge to the water.
- The tubers are usually floury, so you’ll need to cook the sweet potatoes over medium heat for 30 to 45 minutes.
- If you prick the potatoes with a knife, you can find out if they are done.
To shorten the cooking time, you can, of course, cut the sweet potatoes into cubes. Then you can process them into sweet potato puree, for example.
Bake sweet potatoes in the oven
You don’t necessarily have to boil the sweet potatoes in water to cook them. If you want to prepare them as baked sweet potatoes, it is best to leave the skin on and prick the tuber all around with a fork. Then, wrap them in aluminum foil and bake them for between 45 and 60 minutes at 200 degrees to bake sweet potatoes? Then you can fill the sweet potato with delicious ingredients like kumpir.
You can also cut the tuber into wedges and eat it as an oven-baked vegetable. Mix them with oil, salt, and spices and place them on a baking sheet. The vegetables are ready after a baking time of around 25 minutes at 200 degrees. For example, the potato has to be cooked in the oven to make sweet potato fries yourself.
Cooking other alternatives to sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes are versatile. A quick alternative to cooking sweet potatoes is, for example, preparation in the microwave.
To do this, you should also pierce them all around, wrap them in wet kitchen paper and then cook for eight to ten minutes.
Commodity: season and storage
The sweet potato is only distantly related to our potato. It belongs to the tuberous bindweed family and is grown all year round. The tuber is characterized, among other things, by the fact that it is low in calories and also very healthy thanks to the vitamins A and C it contains. In our article, we clarify why sweet potatoes are healthy. In contrast to conventional potatoes, sweet potatoes can be eaten raw. If you store them in a dark and dry place, they‘ll last about a week. However, the sweet potato should not be kept in the refrigerator.
Also read: how to clean dryer vent