Those who try their hand at the self-production of soap. For the first time can test themselves with a very simple. And above all, safe method. Which uses solid Marseille soap reduced into flakes as a starting ingredient.
There are many recipes on how to make soap at home. But many involve the use of caustic soda. Which then. In the chemical saponification process. Dissolves the fats present. And transforms them into salt (the natural soap) and glycerin.
Table of Contents
A bit of soap history
Soap has been used since ancient times. Just think that as early as 2800 BC, it was Papular by the Babylonians and the Ancient Egyptians.
The Gallic women discovered that by treating the linen with ashes and fats, a stain removal effect obtain. Over the centuries, as personal hygiene practices spread, the art of soap also developed, although it remained a luxury object until the 1900s.
Today soap is in daily use because it is industrially produced at relatively low costs. The difference is that surfactants, synthetic products derived from petroleum, have been substituted for the fat/ash mixture.
This is why thinking of self-producing soap can answer having a product without chemical ingredients that are dangerous for our skin.
How to make homemade soap without caustic soda
The recipe we propose uses Marseille soap as an essential ingredient and obtains a slightly more elaborate soap. In this way, the process does not involve saponification and, above all, the use of caustic soda, hazardous and always to handle with care and with safety equipment such as gloves and goggles, because it releases ‘caustic’ vapors that are corrosive to the skin and corneas.
This allows you to become familiar with the production of soap without using more difficult ingredients slightly. How to make a pdf And without running too many risks of burns, burns, or others.
It can also be a nice method to create, without too many complications, small thoughts to give on the most varied occasions.
How to make homemade soap without caustic soda: how to recognize natural Marseille soap
The starting ingredient must choose carefully, preferring quality. To ensure we deal with a real Marseille, we must read the INCI ( International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients ) and check the presence, How to clear the cache on android in different percentages olive oil which, in the labels, is indicated as sodium olivate.
The starting ingredient must choose carefully, preferring quality. To ensure we are dealing with a real Marseille, we must read the INCI ( International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients ) and check the presence, in different percentages, of olive oil, which, in the labels, is indicated as sodium olivate.
On the other hand, it is not true Marseille if the label also indicates the presence, or only, of:
- vegetable fats, such as sodium palmate, which is palm oil, or sodium coconut e, which is coconut oil,
- animal fats, described as sodium tallowate
How to make homemade soap without caustic soda: the necessary ingredients
Now let’s take a good look at the ingredients and utensils you need:
- 250 ml of Marseille soap, preferably unscented
- 220 ml of distilled water
- 11 ml of vegetable oil (you can use any vegetable oil, olive oil, seed oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, and so on, always making sure that they are quality products)
- 5-6 drops of your favorite essential oil
- natural dyes or spices, to add a touch of color (optional)
How to make homemade soap without caustic soda: the tools of the trade
Also, equip yourself with molds and dyes to give different shapes and colors to your soaps and customize them better:
- One wooden spoon
- Two saucepans of different sizes
- One mold and molds
As for the molds, you can use large wooden molds that should line with food paper (for example, baking paper) to make large pieces of soap cut with a knife. Or you can use small molds. How to track a phone such as those for making molds with sand or those for pastry but not in metal, remembering to butter them as you do with sweets, to then facilitate detachment.
As for the color of you can draw from the kitchen some spices, for example, saffron and curry to give the yellow color, cinnamon will give beige, cocoa for brown, paprika for pink.
How to make homemade soap without caustic soda: the procedure
Here is the preparation to follow step by step.
- Crush the soap into flakes with a knife or grater, melt it in a bain-marie, mix well with a wooden spoon, or even use an immersion mixer. After a while, the soap will begin to thicken.
- Some Add the water a little at a time when you have reached a good level of density, constantly stirring.
- Add the chosen vegetable oil and mix.
- Add the drops of essential oil and any coloring substances, then mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the molds only when it is very thick
- Leave the soap to rest for six weeks, after which you will finally have your homemade soap.