Height is one part of our body that we do not have much control over. How tall or short a person is, is determined by one’s genetics mostly. However, if you are unhappy with your current height and want to take some steps to increase it, we have a few tips that might help. The list of how to grow taller exercises gives you some movement practices to improve your current height.
You might be thinking it is almost impossible to grow your height after you are 18, but it is still possible.
One of the main reasons people stop growing as they age is the decompression of their vertebrae. This develops over time due to bad posture.
Your height depends on many factors such as nutrition, genes, environment, and hormones. Fighting against these is hard; however, it is not impossible.
If you are determined, then you can improve your height till your mid-20s. Moreover, exercising is one of the best ways to increase your height faster.
Table of Contents
How to grow taller exercises
#1 Single Leg Hopping
Hopping is one of the exercises to grow taller in a week. This workout helps to strengthen the abdominal muscles and also strengthen your lower body.
How to do it?
- Hop on the left leg 10 times
- Put your hands ups pointing towards your ceiling
- Do the same thing on your right leg as well
- Repeat 10 times each to complete 10 sets
#2 Pelvic Shift
Sitting for a long time can affect your height. When you are sitting, the change of shape of your spine and other muscles affects your growth.
Hence pelvic shift is one of the best workouts to grow taller and sway away from all the bad effects of sitting. Moreover, it boosts the curvature of your lower spine and the upper back, increasing the height.
How to do it?
- Lie on a yoga mat and make sure your shoulders are flat on the ground
- The arms should be stretched out with your palms down
- Bend the knees and keep the feet as close as to the buttocks
- Once you arch, your pelvis will be lifted
- First, tuck your buttocks, and then let your shoulder and legs support your weight
- Try to hold this for 30 – 40 seconds and then repeat it 5 times
#3 Low Lunge Arch
A low lunge arch falls under the list of how to grow taller exercises that are very effective. When you bow your back and your upper body, it will result in boosting your height.
It isn’t easy to develop your upper body, but you can stretch and strengthen your back with this exercise. Also, this workout helps to lengthen your shoulder bones and leg.
How to do it?
- Lock both of your palms with fingers
- Then stretch the arms in the front of your left leg
- Now bend your left leg and then stretch your right leg
- Stretch as far as you can
- Now stay in this position for 30 – 40 seconds
- Then do it on your right leg
- Repeat it 3 times on each leg
We had to include skipping or jumping on our how to grow taller exercises. If you cannot do a lot of stretching or tough workouts, then skipping is an excellent option to increase height.
Moreover, the more times you jump, the more your legs will grow longer in a short time. Also, skipping can be done in many ways, such as skipping a rope or trampoline jumping. Both of these will help you to enhance your height.
Furthermore, make sure while skipping, both of your legs must leave the ground simultaneously and land on the ground at the same time.
#5 Vertical Bends
This exercise helps to expand the muscles of your calf area in a vertical direction. Hence, as a result, it will increase your height.
How to do it?
- Stand straight and make sure your legs are a little apart
- Now bend down and then try to touch the feet
- Make sure you do not bend your knees while doing this exercise
#6 Standing Stretch
It is similar to the vertical bend. The difference is that when you are standing, keep your legs joined instead of them being apart.
Next, you need to bend and touch the floor. Like vertical bend, do not bend your knees while touching the floor.
#7 Side Bends
If you want to sculpt your waist muscles, then side bends are an amazing exercise. Moreover, this workout helps strengthen your side ab wall, enhances your posture, tightens your core, and boosts your height.
With so many benefits, we had to include it on our how to grow taller exercises list. If you want a quicker result, make sure you include dumbbells.
How to do it?
- Stand straight and make sure the feet are flat on the ground
- Now bend the body sideways, then stretch as much as you can
- Stay in this pose for 40 seconds
- Do the same with the other side of your body
- Do it 4 times for each side daily
#8 Toe Lifts
Keep your back straight and stand on your toes. Now stretch the muscles in the legs at the same time try to reach up. If you cannot keep your balance, then you can stand against a door or wall.
Now keep your hands high up as if you are trying to touch the ceiling. Also, it is an easy workout, and you do not need a lot of space for it either.
According to research, it is one of the best among the how to grow taller exercises list if you do it regularly.
#9 Land Swimming
Land swimming means swimming on the ground instead of the pool. It is commonly known as dryland training.
The main function of this workout is to boost your height as well as to be more flexible. If you want to make this workout tougher, place a stability ball under your belly and do it.
How to do it?
- Lay down on the floor and then lift the legs one by one
- Now stretch the hands out like the position, same as swimming
- The posture should be the same if you were swimming in the water
#10 Legs Up
One of the easiest ways to enhance your height is to raise your legs. When you are doing this workout, your body should be extended.
Keep your legs up for 40 – 60 seconds, and then slowly bring it down. If you do it every day, you will see a major difference in your height.
How to do it?
- Lie with your palms and face down
- Keep your palms on the sides of the chest
- Now raise the legs as high as you can and make sure your feet are straight together
- If needed, you can place your hand on your waist to support your back
- Hold this pose for a few seconds and then repeat it 10 times daily
#11 Side Planks
Sides planks are great for your legs. Once you start doing it in a few days, your legs look more toned and sculpted. Moreover, it stretches your legs hence making them look slimmer and increasing your height.
How to do it?
- Lie down on your left and ensure your shoulder is straight below the neck
- Now stretch your legs and keep your right hand on your right hip
- Raise your waist from the floor until it is at the same level as your left hand
- Your body should be diagonal to the ground. Stay in this pose for 20 seconds
#12 Mermaid Stretch
The last workout on our how to grow taller exercises is mermaid stretch. The workout engages all your shoulder and intercostal muscles. It is also great if you want to correct your posture.
A lot of people walk with their shoulders bowed. This posture makes a person looks shorter. Hence, this workout will help you to grow taller and also walk straight.
How to do it?
- Sit down with knees bent underneath on the right side
- Hold on the ankles with the right hand
- Now raise your left arm and try to reach over the head
- You will feel a stretch on the left side of the torso
- Keep this pose for 30 seconds and repeat on the left side
- Do it 5 times on each side
How to increase height without exercise?
Your genetics plays the most important role in your height. According to scientists, 60% – 80% of your growth depends on your genes. However, it does not mean that you won’t grow tall if your parents are short, but you need to put more effort into increasing your height.
If you are not into a workout, then you can do a few things to grow taller.
#1 Good diet
Eat a lot of lean protein such as nuts, soy, beans. It helps to promote healthy bones and muscle growth. Also, try to avoid foods like sweets, soda, pizza, and cakes.
Moreover, calcium is great for healthy bones, and you can find it in green veggies such as kale and spinach.
Some studies have shown that zinc defiance is linked with stunted growth, mainly with boys. Some of the foods that have zinc are peanuts, pumpkin, and wheat germ.
#2 Sufficient sleep
A good 7 – 8 hours of sleep is important if you want your height to grow, especially below 20. Moreover, the Human Growth Hormone (HGH) is usually generated when your body is in slow-wave or deep sleep.
How to grow taller overnight?
#1 Rocking Chair
Do this first lie down on the ground. Now place the fingers at the back and then grip the arms collectively. Raise the legs and upper frame so that you can move onto the abdominals. Also, make sure you do not bend your knees.
Lastly, move your body back and forth. Do this exercise properly and regularly to see instant growth.
#2 Sushi Roll
Lie on your back on the floor, yoga mat, or your bed. Now fully enlarge your legs and arms vertically. Then stretch your whole body to the maximum length. Gently flip and twist your body like you are a sushi roll. Try to stretch each of your joints as much as you can.
#3 Bird Dog
Go in a push-up position but keep your knees on the floor. Lift one of your legs and then amplify the leg backward. Now lift the contrary hand from the ground and stretch it. You need to hold this position for 10 seconds. Repeat this 5 – 6 times each day.
Please note that it is practically impossible to see different within a day. All exercises for height growth take time.
How to grow taller at 12 years of age?
If you want to increase your kid’s height, you need to make a few changes in their lifestyle:
A balanced diet is always important if you want to grow your children’s height. One of the nutrition that should be included in your kid’s diet is vitamin D.
For kids, vitamin D helps to promote muscle and bone growth. Moreover, in mushrooms and alfalfa, you will find a good amount of vitamin D. Also, there are vitamin D fortified food items such as cereals and milk.
However, most of the vitamin D comes from the sunlight. So, if your kids play 15 minutes under the sun, then they will get adequate vitamin D.
Hanging from bars
Hanging is one of the most common recommendations you will get if you want your kids to grow taller.
If your kid hangs from a bar regularly, it will elongate their spine, which plays an important role in becoming taller.
Moreover, other than hanging, your kids can also do chin-ups and pull-ups. Both of these exercises will make the arms and the back muscles stronger.
Yoga involves a lot of stretching as well as balance. Both of these are important to grow your children’s height. Make sure your kids do these 3 yoga: tree pose, chakra asana, and Surya namaskar. Also, do each yoga for five minutes every day.
Sleeping for a minimum of 8 hours is extremely vital for kids. You need to make sure your kids are getting 8 hours of sleep every day so that they can grow stronger and stay healthy. HGH releases when a kid sleep which helps to increase the of your kid.
We have provided a lot of how to grow taller exercises in this blog. If you are planning to increase your height, then start doing these workouts. Remember, only exercising won’t help much if your diet is unhealthy. Along with exercise, maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle to see the best results.