Before setting up Apple Pay, you should also think about your payment habits. Today there are multiple credit cards with different functions. In our extensive credit card comparison, you can determine which functions the individual provider’s support and what costs are incurred. Depending on your payment habits, you can decide for yourself whether you want to pay your Apple Pay sales at the end of the month or prefer to pay immediately from your current account. With some providers, you can even pay for larger purchases in convenient monthly installments or get money back for each purchase via cashback. For example, in our article, we reported on the free Klarna credit card Use Apple Pay and Google Pay with every checking account. In this article, we read about How to set up Apple pay?
Table of Contents
How to set up Apple Pay on your iPhone
After you have selected the right cash card, you can start setting up straight away. We’ll show you step by step how to store your credit or giro card on the iPhone for Apple Pay. It does not matter whether you use a compatible cash card from Sparkasse, Volksbank, DKB, ING, or another credit institution.
- Google Pay is set up in the Wallet app. This is usually already on your iPhone. If not, you can download the wallet app from the App Store. Open the wallet app.
- Tap the “+” in the top right to add a new credit card.
- You will see a brief explanation. At the bottom, tap Continue.
- This step is not necessary if you set up the first card in the Wallet app. If you have already saved a credit card in the Wallet app or use a credit card with your Apple ID, this will be offered to you now. Tap “Add Another Card” to set up a new card.
- Find your provider from the list of card issuers. To do this, enter the first few letters in the search field above. Tap the name of your bank or card provider.
- You will now be asked to take a photo of the front of your card. To do this, put the credit card on the table and take a picture of it. Make sure that the credit card is visible in the frame on the screen. This process reads the credit card details so that you do not have to enter them by hand. After the data has been scanned in, check the information and tap “Next” in the upper right corner.
- Enter the security code. You can usually find this on the back of your card. It usually consists of three digits. Then tap on “Next.”
- In this step, the card is checked. The process differs slightly from one bank to another. As a rule, you will already be offered a method for authentication, such as email, SMS, or post. Confirm the suggested method. You will send a code that you will have to enter later.
- Now set up how to approve payments with Apple Pay. Depending on the device you are using, you can choose whether to unlock the iPhone using Face ID or Touch ID. In an emergency, you can permanently unlock it with a code.
- At the end of the setup, enter the confirmation code from your bank. Tap “Enter Code.” If you receive this in the mail, you can call up the wallet app again at any time and complete the setup at this point.
The exact process of setting up may vary slightly depending on the bank. Always follow the configuration process on the screen.
Set up Apple Pay on your Apple Watch
If you have an Apple Watch on your wrist in addition to your iPhone, you can also pay with this Smartwatch. However, this does not work automatically. You need to set up payments on your iPhone first. Ideally, you first set up the wallet app on your iPhone for Apple Pay. You can then accept the data.
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and tap “Wallet & Apple Pay” in the app list.
- The credit card stored in the wallet app displayed. Click “Add” to make them available to Apple Watch. The most critical data will then adopt. Alternatively, tap on “Add card” if you would like to add a new card.
- Enter the security code again. You can usually find this on the back of your card. It usually consists of three digits. Then tap on “Next.”
- Follow the further setup steps, which differ depending on the bank and are the same as the setup on the iPhone in the wallet app.
How to pay in stores with the iPhone or Apple Watch
The in-store payment process is straightforward. You can pay contactless with the Apple Watch or your iPhone in all shops with this symbol:
The reader is rarely incompatible with the iPhone. You tell the cashier that you want to pay with your smartphone or watch. Then double-tap the side button on the iPhone with Face ID (face recognition) and look at your smartphone to unlock it. On devices with Touch ID, hold your finger on the Home button. With the Apple Watch, you only have to double-tap the side button when you have it unlocked on your arm. Then hold your Apple device up to the reader. This will make the payment.
However, this type of unlocking process prevents you from accidentally authorizing a payment or from criminals secretly pulling the money out of your pocket, as with the contactless payment card.
Also read: how much is an oil change