Taking body measurements, a practice commonly carried out by athletes to evaluate the progress obtained from training, How To Measure Waist or those who have practiced a diet for weight loss. If you are on a diet, you need to take measurements every 30 days.
Also, they can be helpful for sewing or buying clothes. In case we need them to sew a dress, it is always necessary to leave extra fabric, which will be used for seams and hems.
Table of Contents
Measure correctly: How To Measure Waist
To make a correct measurement, it is advisable to be dressed as little as possible; it would be preferable to wear the minimum of underwear, obviously avoiding padded bras for women. Never measure yourself with loose clothing: if you don’t want to undress, wear something snug. To get a correct measurement of how to run faster is preferable to use the tailor’s tape measure. Both soft fabric, plastic or flexible rubber ones are fine.
For waist hips and chest measurements, it is advisable to stand up straight and breathe normally. Also, it is always advisable to get help from someone. In summary, both lengths and circumferences measure. To measure the body’s various circumferences, the tape measure must be parallel to the floor, while for the lengths parallel or perpendicular, according to the orientation of the portion of the body to be measured.
Whatever the purpose, whether to visualize the progress of a workout or diet or to sew a suit, it is always necessary to write down the measurements. In this way, we could compare them later, in the first case, and use them to create a garment in the second case.
How to measure your waist size
In combination with the Body Mass Index (BMI) value, the abdominal circumference represents a critical predictive parameter for determining the degree of obesity and the associated health risks. An accumulation of visceral fat that is in the part of the abdomen, of the male type (android or apple obesity) increases the risk of heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, etc. and mortality in general, compared to an accumulation of the female type (before menopause) ( gynoid or pear) in the lower part of the body (thighs, buttocks).
Here’s how to measure your waist circumference
Waist measurement is a simple, practical but reliable method.
- Take an ordinary, non-elastic tape measure.
- Position yourself in front of a mirror (it will be easier to check that you measure correctly). The abdomen must be bare.
- Place the tape measure at waist level, horizontally, parallel to the floor.
- Remember that the waist is the narrowest part of the abdomen (the one that generally sits just above the iliac crests’ upper edge).
- If the waist is not very evident, keep the navel as a reference point. The tape should always be in a line parallel to the floor.
For women, circumferences take into consideration:
- Of life
- Of the thigh
- Of the arm
How to measure the rim of the breast
To do this correctly, you need to stand in front of the woman. To do this, you need to use a tape measure, placing it lightly and sliding it around the bust at the bra’s height. The tape measure should be stretched at the size of the nipples to measure without tightening too much. Measurements considered How to clean ears perfect are between 82 and 92 cm. However, this parameter can vary a lot about the physical conformation of the subject.
Take measurements at the waist level: How To Measure Waist
This measurement must be made with bare skin, in the narrowest part interposed between the thoracic base and the upper portion of the hips, placing the tape measure lightly without tightening. Usually, this area is located 2.5 to 5 cm above the navel. The calculations considered “perfect” for a woman range from 58 to 64 cm, but there can be many variations even in this case. Eventually, you can measure the belly, which corresponds to the umbilical area or a little further down. This is where fat accumulates first and can be an essential measurement in the case of weight-loss diets.
Measurement of the hips
To measure the hips’ circumference correctly, it is necessary to measure it in the area just above the hips’ maximum width; it is wrong to measure just below the waist. The measures considered “perfect” are between 87 and 92 cm, but there are many constitutional variations even in this case.
The measurements of the thigh
The thigh’s correct measurement must be performed in its initial part, which is usually the largest. Measuring it in the middle of the leg is wrong.
It is performed in the center of the biceps muscle, exactly halfway between the elbow and shoulder.
It must carry out at the widest point.
Also, in humans, the measurement of the circumferences of:
The procedures are identical to those that take place in women. In men, the armpits take as a reference for the chest area.
In the world of fashion, the evaluation of the measurement of the neck is critical, especially in men.
Neck measurement in humans
Also, in Italy, it is usually expressed in inches. This last unit of measurement is of English origin and corresponds to about 2.5 cm.
To measure the neck’s circumference, it is necessary to slide the tape measure at the base of the neck and start running where the collar of a shirt closes. If, for example, this measurement were 39 cm, considering that an inch is 2.5 cm, it would be equal to 15.5 inches.
Other valuable measurements for sewing clothes
Other measurements, in addition to the previous ones, are those used for sewing clothes such as:
- Shoulder measurement: it takes from the extremity of one shoulder to the other, at the back of the back, placing the tape measure parallel to the floor, imagining where you want the seams.
- Distance between collar and shoulder seam.
- Sleeve measurement: it takes along the outside of the arm, keeping it parallel to the floor.
- The measure of the length of a jacket: it takes by drawing a straight line between the center of the upper part of the shoulder to where you want the hem of the same.
- Trouser length: it is taken by measuring the distance from the waist to where you want the hem of the trousers, following a straight line at the front of the leg.
- Distance between the crotch and trouser leg at the level of the inside seam.
- Circumference of the ankle: this is useful, as it allows us to decide the width of the pants, more or less adherent to the ankle.
- Distances from the crotch to the central part of the waist, on the front and the back: the distance between the navel and the inner front area, and from the waist to the inner mid-back.